11.01.2010

will visits los angeles

William Tidwell facebooked me two weeks ago to tell me that he would come for a visit. The following week he drove ten hours from Utah and safely arrived in Los Angeles. I hadn't seen Will since May of 2007 when we had parted ways in Daejeon, Korea. His contract was up as an English teacher and he subsequently went to the University of Hawaii for his Bachelors. I still had six months or so left on mine. 

Will is pretty spontaneous and I like that about him. Willing to go anywhere and experience strange things. I think it's a trait that very few people have. He doesn't seem to worry too much and it definitely relaxes those of us who tend carry around the burdens of the world. 

I drove him around to many parts of LA and it might perhaps be true that I had more fun than he had going through our neighborhoods. I hadn't yet been to Los Feliz and so I took him there and went through all the hipster cafes, vintage shops, and a bookstore. We quickly went to the observatory, drove from Silver Lake to Beverly Hills on Sunset, and ate lots of Korean food. We spent an entire day in downtown admiring all the old and new buildings. We had novelty ice cream, rode the subway and trams, and people-watched. We also hit up a jjimjilbang, one of those Korean bathhouse, and it was remarkable indeed.

On the left, the wonderful Eastern Columbia Building. One of my favorites in the historic core. On the right, Will admiring his Walt Disney Concert Hall pictures.

0 comments: